December 10, 2004

sing my soul, you sap

elissa referenced the oasis song "wonderwall" in her away message today and got it stuck in my head. as a recourse, that i may be able to focus once again, i had kat transfer the song to me, along with three other albums while she was at it. i have listened to it four times so far, singing along off-key. i'm entirely sure what has happened, but i used to have near-perfect pitch and a (second) soprano voice that was, if not lovely, then at least tolerable. now, however, i'm an alto who has difficulty keeping to a tune, especially without any music to follow. it's very disappointing to lost a skill. i'm sad. perhaps i should embrace my new hanicap, however, and walk down the streets singing at the top of my voice. the morning of the sc game, i was walking to meet sadaf and the bus, and i saw a boy doing exactly that. he was on the other side of the street as me, walking slightly more slowly, and singing, loudly, "the battle of yoshimi" (i think, i'm not in the mood to look it up) by the flaming lips. he only knew a line or two, but he was singing them with gusto. i found it terribly charming, but he seemed drunk, perhaps, so i didn't think it merited my time to stop and holler my appreciation at him. this was another time i had forgotten my ipod and was glad for it. lately i've had the urge to sing a lot, and i'm not referring to my little absentmindedly tuneless warbles. i think it's the fact that christmas is coming up, and i'm surrounded by songs that i know at least some of the lyrics for. i get "santa baby" stuck in my head for months at a time every year and walk around with the most incredible urge to wear white fur and vamp. i have always loved that breathy sex-kitten "happy birthday mr. president" sort of lounge act singing. i've been trying to rebuild my music collection after the great loss that was laptop theft. i like the way the collection is building and in the process i'm listening to bands i haven't thought about in ages. going back to the hard rock that i used to be so in to and getting some newer, more peppy indie music from kat. every so often i catch a snip of a song i haven't thought about in ages and listening to it go, "oh my god, that describes my life so perfectly." "wonderwall" being an example.

Today is gonna be the day
That they're gonna throw it back to you
By now you should've somehow
Realized what you gotta do
I don't believe that anybody
Feels the way I do about you now

Backbeat the word was on the street
That the fire in your heart is out
I'm sure you've heard it all before
But you never really had a doubt
I don't believe that anybody feels
The way I do about you now

And all the roads we have to walk along are winding
And all the lights that lead us there are blinding
There are many things that I would
Like to say to you
But I don't know how


makes me feel as if i should be weeping "oh how true!" into a pint of ice cream and wondering if i should call "him." of course, i can happily say i've never felt so sad as all this. actually, my entire appeal from the song is in the line "I don't believe that anybody/ Feels the way I do about you now." for some reason, i just really like it. (oh how true!) but in a more generalized, post-modern sense. (i'm sure greg will have something to say about that, and i welcome it, hah!) alright, well i'd love to discuss music with myself all night, but i've lost my train of thought, and i have cookies cooling in the other room. night all!

1 Comments:

At 11:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

As you welcome my comment, I shall make it. I'm not surprised that those two lines strike you, as the rest of the song is more or less nonsensical blabber. Most songs throughout history were created in one of two ways:

1) Someone wrote a good line and then felt an obligation to write a song around it. Like in your example, the line sometimes makes the song a success, even though the rest of it has no value whatsoever.

2) Someone writes a tune. If this tune is left alone, it is "classical" or "jazz" or whatnot, and thus "culture"--i.e. nobody will listen to it. Therefore words (usually of a very poor sort) are added to get people to listen. There are many examples of songs with a good tune that make me wish I'd never learnt to speak English. Dozens from the Beatles alone.

Songs that read like poetry are extremely rare. There is precisely one band I know to be capable of regularly creating these, and I would have introduced you to their albums had the lyrics been in a language that somebody other than I can understand (as opposed to Estonian). Another notable exception is a particular genre of Russian music, but it is arguable whether it should even be called "music" rather than "poetry," as the tunes in that genre are generally rather unimpressive.

-Greg

P.S: You will notice that hip-hop and gansta rap fit in neither category. This is because nothing in them has any artistic value. Even when John Kerry went on MTV to say that people had "better listen up" to such genres, he cited "anger" and "rebellion" as their chief positive qualities. Historically, however (Kerry should read some Whitman), it is precisely the rebellious and angry "art" that has nothing interesting to offer.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home